[78-L] When is a microgroove not a microgroove?

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon May 7 20:43:31 PDT 2012

I have 4 7-inch 78s pressed (uncredited) by Decca, given as premiums by the
Quaker Oats Company or something like that..the theme and 3 stories in the
Sergeant Preston of the Yukon series, issued in 1952. You would think they were
microgroove, but a .7 stylus gives a very hissy output..I thought this was poor
pressing material, but I tried a 2.0 mil truncated elliptical stylus and the
sound was perfect. Discs are near mint, so this doesn't seem to be a matter of
the discs having been chiseled out. How come this, how come?