[78-L] Record Colecting week 5

Ken Matheson kenmath at yahoo.com
Mon May 7 17:42:40 PDT 2012

Week 5, Preamps and mixers

I will skip the “All in One” recorders and direct high
output cartridge to sound card setups.

You will need a way to amplify the signal that comes
from the cartridge going into the recording device, i.e.
sound card or recorder. Also you will want to be able
to control the volume.

I use a DJ mixer for this. The sliders are designed for
much use and I can switch turntables easily. I have
one turntable for 78s, and one for 33s and 45s. That
way I don’t have to change the cartridge every time I
go from shellac to vinyl. One draw back on mixers is
they are designed for moving magnet cartridges.
The moving coil cartridges have a much lower output
and need more amplification.

I also have a stereo preamp that allows for moving coil
input and different shunt capacitances. Some of the old
stereo component systems had good preamps, and are
much cheaper than commercial equipment.

Many mixers have added features such as pan, fade,
high and low roll off, tone control, Etc. Many preamps
also have tone control. Pan is handy to correct an
imbalance in your setup. Some old 78s had the cutting
head a little out of alignment so if you record them in
stereo, one channel will be higher volume. I have also
seen where A channel was higher at the start and B
channel was higher toward the end.

Old tube type preamps with transformers in them may
also be a good feature. Tube equipment seems to me
to have a more mellow sound.