[78-L] Let's hear it for the flat earthers

Steve Williams jazzhunter at collector.org
Sun Apr 29 06:05:57 PDT 2012

Yes Lebrecht is insufferably condescending, and mostly ignorant, but
strangely he does make one point which I believe to be valid, once you get
past the trash-talking..

He does say that he could not tell the difference between an analogue and
digital master of a classical performance, so he is at least admitting that
analogue in itself is not inferior,.. the main part of his thesis is that
LPs are so inferior to CDs, which is not true, BUT, practically playing
Devil's Advocate, he goes on to say that the REASON listeners are switching
back to LPs is that DOWNLOADS of MP3s are becoming a dominant means of
obtaining material, and that listeners are being chased back to Analogue
because these compressed downloads sound so bad, and modern listeners equate
downloaded digital with ALL forms of digital recording.

With this I have to agree.. No, records are not as bad as Mr. Lebrecht
describes, but compressed digital IS.

Steve Williams  ..

Message: 2