[78-L] recording sessions on lacquers began . . . ?

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Apr 21 07:13:41 PDT 2012

As I understand it, Columbia began recording 33RPM safeties alongside the 78RPM
masters in 1939, and then decided to use the 33RPMs as source material soon
thereafter. Decca bought World during the AFM ban and when it ended in the fall
of 1943, everything was being cut first at 33. There were definitely other
labels dubbing 78 masters from 33s..Varsity for one (check out the two very
different issues of "She Had To Go and Lose it at the Astor", which when
adjusted for speed differences are the same take, and a 45RPM issue of Jan
Peerce's "Vesti la Giubba" which is full of 33RPM surface noise).

As for Victor, Jack Mirtle in his Spike Jones book says that original sessions
began to be cut on 33RPM lacquers in 1944, but from the ghastly quality of the
issued records from this time, it sounds as if dubs were made and then
re-dubbed and the original lacquers tossed or scrapped or recycled. I think
there's a note in a Koussevitzky discography (ARSC Journal) that refers to
33rpm safety copies in the late 40s. Anyone know for sure?

dl