[78-L] who designs record labels?

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Apr 20 15:19:08 PDT 2012

On a serious note, Alex Steinweiss is credited as designing the first
Everest label, probably the silver and blue.

I have not seen any paperwork at Victor showing names of who designed
the labels, but there were executives who signed off on the label
designs.  The legal department also put their two cents in every once in
a while.  If you have the hardcover version of the new Victor label book
you will have seen the brochure reproduced in the flyleaves which show a
proposal to change the labels to have both sides' titles on one label
with a generic label on the other side.  When Vince Geordano and I found
that flyer there was no indication as to even what location or
department sent it out, either on the side of the flyer that is
reproduced or the other side which I do have photos of.  I did find some
actual samples of unused designs including one for Bluebird which is
included in the book.  But there are others.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com