[78-L] Odd Joe Green Perfect

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Tue Apr 17 11:32:06 PDT 2012

Greetings from FixitLand!

Taylor Bowie wrote:

> I know the sides were on different commercial issues...do you think
> this was
> a sample record for dealers or the public?    Seems like it would
> have been
> cheaper for the company to just give away regular copies of the
> records for
> samples,  instead of pressing special ones.

There are other ARC-related oddballs out there like this one. I've
got a Brunswick with mismatched sides (though it has both catalog
numbers on the labels). Maybe it was a way for ARC to control the
number of sample pressings; with no catalog number, they are
(relatively) unique and a limited press run could be made.

Most likely for the public rather than dealers. A dealer sample might
be more likely to have record-selling propaganda, such as the
Columbia Royal Blue profit-making-plan record or the plum OKeh
introductory disc.

Do we know where Perfect records were distributed? Generally, or by a
specific store? ARC label-mate Conqueror, for example, was sold by
Sears.

Take care,

Joe
--
"If cats are 'pets' and people are 'masters' why am I the one
standing here with a Pooper Scooper?"--Karl Knox (1960-2005)