[78-L] high cost of shipping to USA from rest of world

Omar Facelli gaucho at netgate.com.uy
Mon Apr 16 10:22:41 PDT 2012

Hello Benno and all,

         Omar from Uruguay here, we've dealt in the past several times.
At first I thought to respond this privately, but then I considered
that other collectors might like to know my opinion, since I deal
with records internationally since over 20 years now and maybe some
people out there would like to know how it is in other places other
than in USA and Europe.
While I read your post with interest, I must admit that it must be
taken as an educational / informational post only, not as a rule of
thumb, though even though you believe that the Universal Postal Union
offers similar services (and fares) in all participating countries.
Unfortunately that is not at all true. In fact in Uruguay it does not
exist "media mail" or "non priority" services. Furthermore, insurance
is NOT available here for international parcels.
When I read that you are able to securely ship (I say securely
because I'm pretty sure you know how to pack 78's to endure the
international postal venues) for JUST US$ 8.50 and insured, come on!
I must admit that I'm utterly jealous! <g>
A single record (which after proper packaging) ends weighting between
1/2 and 1 kilo, costs me 446 Uruguayan Pesos which at the current
rate (UR$ 19.60 per US Dollar) corresponds to +/- US$ 22.75.
I actually charge US$ 20 to ship 1-3 shellac records to USA.
If you add packing materials, trip to the post office, car parking
costs, time involved, I'm putting money off my pocket when I sell for
instance, a single record at US$ 9.99 on eBay.
We should also consider, of course, eBay commission fees (12%), then
PayPal (+/- 5%) and finally PayPal-CC transfer (another US$ 5 per
transfer + 5% CC fees), and then you have the final picture.

Finally, rest assured I've already researched the Uruguayan Post
Office services back and forth to discover that there is no cheaper
shipping methods, not from here, not at all.
So US record shippers, you're not alone, embrace the club!

Look forward to dealing with you (but not on a single record purchase
basis!!!) :-)

Omar Facelli (Montevideo, Uruguay)