[78-L] Picking up 78s next week

Bill McClung bmcclung78 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 06:23:50 PDT 2012

Of the ones I looked at 95% were post-war which is what I would have
expected since the story is that this is what is left from a juke box
distributor.  But since I'm mainly a post-war 78 guy that is fine with me.

The records are all in those small 10x10x6(?) cardboard boxes 78s were
shipped in back in the day.  Half are stacked six-feet high along one wall
of the warehouse and are inaccessible because of all the crap that is
stored in front of them.  The boxes on top of the stacks I saw are covered
in a thick layer of dust and dirt so I assume they have been there a long
time.  I don't know if newer 78s are on top and older 78s are on the
bottoms or if unbroken 78s are on top and broken ones are on the bottoms.
There was no way to tell.  Most of these were from the 40s and this is
where I found the pre-war 78s mixed in.

The other half are on the other side of the warehouse up some stairs on a
catwalk.  These are stacked four feet high but are four and five stacks
deep.  All of the ones I saw in this part were from the mid to late 50s so
I assume this is the more recent accumulation.  This is also where the 45s
are.