[78-L] Titanic Songs ENOUGH ALREADY

Philip Carli Philip_Carli at pittsford.monroe.edu
Mon Apr 9 15:24:47 PDT 2012

I know about the VOLTURNO - a horrible thing, with the rescue effected by extroardinary work.  I read about it when I was a kid in THEY SAILED INTO OBLIVION.

For that matter, the sinking of the EMPRESS OF IRELAND in 1914 had a higher percentage of lost to survivors than the TITANIC (and that with updated safety equipment), the capsizing of the EASTLAND in 1915 completely decimated several Chicago neighborhoods, the burning of the GENERAL SLOCUM in 1904 changed the ethnic configuration of a substantial section of Manhattan, and the 1898 PORTLAND sinking was possibly the most horrific of all (and a rare instance of a storm being later named after a ship - "the PORTLAND Storm of 1898", Thanksgiving week-end that year, is still legendary in New England, and the ship's captain's name is still reviled "down East").

Ships inspire passion - not just shipwrecks.  To understand the latter, you have to know and feel the former.

PC