[78-L] Titanic Songs

Philip Carli Philip_Carli at pittsford.monroe.edu
Mon Apr 9 14:35:38 PDT 2012

Well, not only were the crew British, the ship was the pride of Britain's merchant marine at a time of enormous competition (TITANIC was exceeded as "world's largest ship" by the German HAPAG liner IMPERATOR in 1913, which itself was exceeded by the Cunarder AQUITANIA in 1914 and then bounced back to HAPAG's VATERLAND that same year before war broke out), and the majority of passengers were British or under British governance.  As for popular song memorialization at the time, perhaps this was too awe-inspiringly terrible.  Take a look at two poems written immediately after the disaster: Ben Hecht's bitter "Master and Man" (referring to White Star Chairman J. Bruce Ismay surviving while Capt. Edward Smith went down with the ship), and Thomas Hardy's sombre "The Convergence of the Twain".  Both were written for public display, Hecht's for printing in a Chicago newspaper, and Hardy's for reading at a London Titanic benefit performance.  They might give some sense of contemporary general popular feeling. PC