[78-L] the proper needle specs for playing 78s

leonard schwartz coonsanders at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 9 08:14:38 PDT 2012

ok thanks...

________________________________
 From: Ron L'Herault <lherault at bu.edu>
To: '78-L Mail List' <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
Sent: Monday, April 9, 2012 11:08 AM
Subject: Re: [78-L] the proper needle specs for playing 78s

Ellliptical refers to the shape of the point, not the material.  In theory
you could make an elliptically shaped tip out of anything.  The elliptical
shape is good in many cases because it follows the groove walls closely yet
lets the needle move and not rattle if it is the right width.  Somewhere on
the web there are some nice diagrams showing this but I don’t remember well.
If you have close to $500 you can get a set of 6 styli that fit a Stanton
500 cartridge.  They are all diamonds, most are elliptical.  That way one
can choose the needle best suited to the groove of the record you hope to
play.

Ron L