[78-L] the proper needle specs for playing 78s

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Apr 9 07:46:13 PDT 2012

Lots of records work better with different styli. A 2.1 mil truncated
elliptical point is one that I've used for a very long time (an original
Stanton, not an after-market one) with great success. My other favorite is
impossible to find, the original Shure 2.5 mil elliptical SS-78E (not the
after-market and definitely not the N-78-S which is garbage) that goes in the
SC-35C cartridge, which requires a tracking force of about 5 grams.

dl