[78-L] Titanic Songs

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Mon Apr 9 02:23:28 PDT 2012

On 2012-04-09 07:25, David Weiner wrote:
> There's a great new book about the band - The Band that Played On: The
> Extraordinary Story of the 8 Musicians Who Went Down with the Titanic, by
> Steve Turner.  Just finished it and I recommend it highly.
>
> Dave Weiner

So do I.
And there's another one by Christopher Ward, grandson of Jock Hume: "And
The Band Played On - The Titanic Violinist and the Glovemaker: a True
Story of Love, Loss and Betrayal" (Hodder & Stoughton 2011).

There are several albums (both on CD and digital) with music that the
Titanic ensemble (or ensembles, the musicians performed as a trio and a
quintet) supposedly played. Some of these collections have used any
contemporary material, others have been more true to The White Star Line
Songbook, the booklet with 341 titles that each member of the ensemble
received from the booking agency; it was also given to all first class
passengers. An interesting detail is that only a few popular tunes from
the immediately preceding years are listed, and only one rag; that was
"Alexander's Ragtime Band" - which wasn't a rag itself.

As for songs from 1912: here they are:
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt/search?id=mdp.39015077986076;view=image;seq=68;q1=titanic;start=1;size=10;page=search;orient=0

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt/search?id=mdp.39015077986068;view=image;seq=7;q1=titanic;start=1;size=10;page=search;orient=0;

Kristjan

My weekly music programme on Swedish Radio will present music about
Titanic and "from" Titanic this Friday.

Tune in: Rendezvous - 75 minutes of laidback music from the 1920's till
tomorrow. Fridays at 6.04 pm CET on Channel 2, Swedish Radio.
Streaming at www.sr.se/p2/rendezvous