[78-L] editing 78 files.. (leonard schwartz)

Andrew Evans andrew.evans at sfr.fr
Mon Apr 9 01:05:43 PDT 2012

It depends what you mean by "edit", Lenny, i.e. how much you want to
achieve.

An all-purpose editor will allow you to dub to a *.wav file to hard disk,
trim the non-music start and end of your dubbed file and redraw the wave
form by hand to decerealise it (As John R T Davies used to say, i.e. erase
snap, crackle and pop); I have been using GoldWave for ten years but I chose
it only because CoolEdit was no longer available at a sensible price. I've
since discovered Wave Repair, a shareware program written by Clive Backham
which was designed for LPs but works perfectly well with 78s. That costs
only 30 dollars. In particular it has a feature allowing you to take a
fingerprint of surface noise from the run-in or run-out grooves and remove
that fingerprint only from the whole file. GoldWave has a whole load of
features which appear to have no relevance to 78 restoration and which I've
never explored.

For industrial-strength decerealisation you should look at Click Repair by
Brian Davies, an Australian mathematician with an interest in sound
restoration. That was also written for LP restoration but is very useful
with 78s. It too is shareware.  Dr Davies's webpage on restoration is as
good a brief introduction to the principles of restoration as youy will
find.  He has also written a freeware equaliser which will remove the RIAA
equalisation applied automatically by your amplifier and restore the
original equalisation curve applied by the recording studio (if you happen
to know what it was).

You can find URLs for all these first hit with Google.

YWIA
Andrew in Luxembourg

Message: 3