[78-L] Titanic Songs

Philip Carli Philip_Carli at pittsford.monroe.edu
Sun Apr 8 21:10:47 PDT 2012

There were a number of British releases in 1912 on the sinking; some of them were to benefit the Titanic Relief Fund, set up to benefit crewmen and other service members (and some passengers) whose families were left destitute by the tragedy. These songs, notably "Be British" on Edison-Bell Winner disc and British Edison cylinder, are a little hard to listen to to-day because of their rather strident patriotism, but they gave comfort and support to their original audiences whose various faiths had been completely shattered in ways many did not realize.

In Walter Lord's 1986 THE NIGHT LIVES ON, he mentions how shabbily the ship's legendary orchestra was treated both before and after the event, with at least one family (the parents of violinist Jock Hume) being dunned for uniform expenses by the Liverpool booking agency who had placed their son on the TITANIC.  The body of violinist Wallace Hartley, the ship's prinicipal musician, was recovered by the morgue ship MACKAY BENNETT and eventually given what amounted to a state funeral in his home town of Colne, Lancashire. PC