[78-L] music making a big difference to residents in rest homes

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Apr 8 13:24:50 PDT 2012

For a few years I emceed Toronto jazz and dance concerts as part of a "Music in
the Parks" summer program. Great stuff and I got to meet and hear a lot of the
best Toronto musicians. Groups would come and do line dancing, a Toronto
eccentric named Clem Hambourg (jazz promoter extraordinaire in previous years)
would come out and do a lot of solo dancing, and so it went. But the very first
time I was about to start one of these evenings, a minivan pulled up and
several nearly comatose patients from the nearby Baycrest Hospital were ushered
into places immediately in front of me. They hadn't the foggiest idea what they
were listening to.

CKFH had that format for a few years. All programmed from badly duplicated
stretchy tapes. Folks used to refer to it as "The Music Of Your Mother's Life".

dl