[78-L] Victor 19571, was Re: Victor Scroll Labels in Canada?

Steve Williams jazzhunter at collector.org
Thu Apr 5 20:23:01 PDT 2012

Yes, I had said there were Victor-recorded sides prior to April 2nd that
were released. (so much text to wade through.. <g>) I picked 19636 because
it's a favourite record, there is an obvious history of acoustic then
electric efforts to make the sides which are not specifically documented by
Rust, and 19571, 19626, and 19636 are three out of four of the earliest
Victor electric popular-series releases, surrounded by a sea of acoustics.
I didn't notice 19630, thank you very much for that.  I may have that record
and will look for it.  If not, I'd welcome a copy..  :-) Also for decades
I've been trying to find 19626, without the slightest luck..  I just like
very early electrics, they have a special sound.

..  Steve Williams  ..

On 4/4/2012 10:23 PM, David Lennick wrote:
> On 4/4/2012 9:32 PM, Steve Williams wrote:

There are Victor electrical experiments between 1922 and 1924 detailed
in the Albertus Hewitt notebooks.

>> I have 19571, it seems to me they are the same orchestra. The electric
side
>> sounds like Jack Shilkret or the International Novelty Orchestra playing
>> very carefully, possibly not being used to the mic and seating
arrangement.
>> However several researchers have indeed suggested the Electric was
recorded
>> in Montreal. Sound balance-wise a good comparison is with Waring's
"Little
>> Peach" recorded April 2nd for 19636, which may have been the first
>> INTERNATIONAL Victor black label electric release, after 19626, which was
>> only regional.  I have this record in a very clean E condition.

There are a bunch of electrical recordings made by both these
organizations in the ledger sheets but were not issued.  But there are
issued black label sides recorded prior to April 2.

19730B was recorded electrically on Mon Mar 23, 1925 on B-VE 32179-3
Petite Suite Impromptu
35755B was recorded electrically on Mon Mar23, 1925  on C-VE 32180-2
Berecuse from Petite Suite
35758A was recorded elecctrically on Tues Mar24, 1925 on C-VE 32182-1.
Duo from Petite Suite  V Conc O.
19630 was recorded electrically Thurs Mar 26, 1925 on BVE 32183-1 All
Aboard and 32184-2  Let It Rain.  Meyer Davis
19655B was recorded electrically on Thurs Mar 26, 1925 on BVE 32185-3
Bye and Bye.
19650A was recorded electrically on Thurs April 2, 1925 on BVE 32198-3
Homeland   Victor Male Chorus.