[78-L] Victor Scroll Labels in Canada?

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Tue Apr 3 06:23:27 PDT 2012

And for the Swing Classics they omitted the batwing, so there was space along the upper rim
to write "SWING CLASSIC".

han enderman
===
>>> Nope, Canada never had them. Maybe a slightly modified scroll for the Program
Transcriptions, but for general releases Canadian Victor stuck with Batwing
right through 1946. We were even a year late changing that to RCA Victor, we
kept Buff Bluebird into 1939 and used the Staff label for only about six months
as well. The first Scroll label in Canada might have been on the lp Nilsson
Schmilsson.

dl

On 4/3/2012 1:30 AM, Clifford Bolling wrote:
> In the U.S., Victor labels evolved from Batwing to Scroll to Ring design for their labels.
> Did the Scroll label get skipped for Canadian pressings and go straight from Batwing to Rings??
> I have some Canadian pressed 'HIS MASTER'S VOICE/VICTOR' label records that I know
> were made in the 1940s that are still Batwing, but I don't recall ever seeing Canadian Scroll design labels.
>
> http://PDX78s.cdbpdx.com/CanSC/
>
> Thanks!  CDB
===
Now this doesn't answer your Canadian question, but here's a bit of
inside info I forgot to tell Kurt during the final editing of the Victor
label book last year. Do you know what the people inside Victor actually
called the Scroll label?  OCTAGON.  That was its real name.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com
<<<