[78-L] Early Columbia Labels & Sizes

Sam Hopper samhopper at mail.com
Mon Apr 2 16:04:32 PDT 2012

Hi Mike

 No. The Confederacy was not the last 78rpm set.

 A Star is Born was the last 78rpm 'album' set released under the Masterworks label/series but used the "BM" prefix.
 There is some dispute about what constitutes the 'last' 78rpm Masterworks album as the C series is considered by some to be part of the M series even though they are different series. If you believe this then there were many more issues up to and including the mid 1950s. Some 'masterworks' issues were released on C and then added to the M series and visa versa! Personally - I don't consider the "C" series to be part of the "M" series. My discography reflects this.

 Then there are the "special" releases which - although appear in the Masterworks section of catalogues are not necessarily considered part of the masterwork series ?!?!?!

 The last recording card which features a 78rpm "album" pressing in the Masterworks collection at the Sony Archives is "A STAR IS BORN" - so, I've stopped the discography at this recording although the Confederacy is the last album with the standard "MM" prefix. (MM-1111)
 A Star is Born uses a "BM" prefix.

 But I am waiting to be corrected..... :)

 SOME DETAILS ON A STAR IS BORN
 It was a 10 inch set containing 5 records (10 sides)
 It was also concurrently released as EP and LP
 The 78rpm numbers are: 8005 - 8009
 Recorded during 1953 and 1954
 Featuring:

 [Judy Garland in performance from the sound track of the Transcona Enterprises, Inc. production distributed by Warner Bros.]
 Judy Garland (soprano); Ray Heindorf conducting (Unknown) Orchestra
 SAM