[78-L] I'll take Three Finger Earl any day

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Thu Mar 29 15:21:38 PDT 2012

The comment was not made with regard to Reser and Scruggs' relative technical abilities. The key word here is "influential," and using that barometer, Scruggs beats Reser by a country...pardon me, a "hillbilly" mile, to use the pejorative, outdated word you employed. Anyone who knows anything about Scruggs knows that he did not limit his abilities to bluegrass music - which, by the way, has a lot more to do with jazz and improvisation than most people realize. After he broke up his partnership with Lester Flatt, he started one of the first fusion country/rock bands, the Earl Scruggs Revue. Listen to Earl's banjo along with such rock icons as Sting, Melissa Etheridge, John Fogerty, and Don Henley is a revelation. I can't even fathom how the Clicquot Club Eskimos (which most people can't even pronounced without tripping over their tongues) can compare to the Foggy Mountain Boys or Bill Monroe's Bluegrass Boys in world-shattering influence. Go to Japan some day - they have bluegrass festivals there, with each and every banjo player playing Scruggs' three-finger technique. There's nary a Harry Reser festival to be found. Get with it, Al. Earl Scruggs was an earth-shaker, on par with Armstrong, Crosby, Bernstein, and anyone else you want to mention in the 20th century. "Three Finger Scruggs" was a giant among giants and there should not be an argument there at all.

Cary Ginell