[78-L] Earl Scruggs has died

David Sanderson dwsanderson685 at roadrunner.com
Thu Mar 29 12:08:58 PDT 2012

On 3/29/2012 2:44 PM, Erwin Kluwer wrote:
> RIP Earl!
>
> Few musicians were as influential as Earl..
>
> On par with Louis Armstrong, Charlie Parker, Blind lemon Jefferson, Chuck
> Berry, Bill Monroe,,,,
>
> Erwin
>
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 7:08 AM, Cary Ginell<soundthink at live.com>  wrote:
>
>> The legendary bluegrass musician was 88. No one person was more
>> influential on an instrument than Scruggs was on the five-string banjo.
>>
>> Cary Ginell

Influential, yes, but interesting in that he was not a leader and
creator like Monroe and others. I suppose a good comparison is Chet
Atkins, or Merle Travis. Scruggs took the indigenous three-finger banjo
style he learned in North Carolina and turned it into a polished,
sophisticated way of playing.

His final steps toward the style seem to have been taken when he was
first with Bill Monroe - there are live recordings of him at that time
where his smooth flow of notes has yet to appear. And I wonder how much
Monroe himself had to do with developing Scruggs - Bill was very much a
teacher and maestro to the musicians who worked with him, always. And
there is partly the question of timeliness - without a venue that
Monroe's creation of Bluegrass offered, what would Scruggs have done
with his music?

--
David Sanderson
East Waterford Maine