[78-L] Double turntable turns 60 next week

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Mar 21 16:19:36 PDT 2012

On 3/21/2012 8:51 AM, Anthony G Pavick wrote:
> Not sure if this is exactly the same thing, but look at item 20 about
> halfway down this page:
>
> http://www.radiojamming.puslapiai.lt/photo.htm
>
> Is this a dual tonearm turntable being used to produce audio 'mush'
> to jam radio transmssions? T

It could be used this way by giving a pair of audio signals from the
same recording to make a more complicated but possibly "honest"
interference, although it could be used one arm at a time to make it
continuous.   My surprise in these photos is that they used this kind of
sound source for jamming.  I heard thousands of famming signals over
several decades and most sounded like buzzsaws with occasional morse
code-like beeping to make the supposedly stupid listeners to think
theywerehear interference by ham operators.  I don't think the turntable
woiuld be used live -- it would make a master tape that would be looped.

The photos were very interesting because I visited a transmission site
in the Eastern edge of Moscow in 1995 that is rumored to have been a
jamming facility.  It then was the site of many local entertainment
stations, including an FM station which had four hours of English
programming in the morning and then in the evening.  The evening DJ was
Vasili Strelnikov who had been the first rock DJ on Radio Moscow in the
Gorbachov years.   The station owner insisted that the jamming legend
was not true.  I took many pictures and videotape there -- and thought
that I was headed straight to the Gulag when a security guy came up to
me while photographing!!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com