[78-L] Unknown Late 1940's Allentown, PA band, need ID?

Dave at Audio Tech Transfer audiotechtransfer at bresnan.net
Tue Mar 20 21:21:18 PDT 2012

Greetings,
A friend from another forum (The Record Collectors Guild) sent me the following message, seeking help. I know this is a long shot, but if anyone can help, it’ll be here on the 78l list.
Thanks, Dave

      Hi Dave,

      Since you're one of the RCG's 78 rpm experts, I have a few questions for you. My father, George John Huber, recorded a song with a local orchestra in the mid to late 1940's. He wasn't able to secure a copy of it for himself at the time. I have no info about the disc as far as song titles, record label, band name, etc. Our family does have a plastic coated paper acetate of 2 demos he recorded during that time but nothing more. I remember him saying that his name did appear on the label of the released record crediting him as the vocalist.

      Do you have any tips as to how I would research the recording? I emailed the Library Of Congress to ask if any info about his name was in their database.

      Our family has always lived in the Allentown PA area. Would it be advantageous to research the disc at the Allentown courthouse?

      Thanks for reading this note. I've done many online searches and have turned up no info at all.

      John G. Huber
      (JGH1