[78-L] Flemish Choral Music, or, Floundering in Flanders

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Mar 19 19:50:41 PDT 2012

Folks..Flemish and otherwise..this thing is driving me crazy. Even with 3
reliable sources listing the tracks (although two of them give them in
alphabetical order of composers names, which helps me not at all) I still don't
know exactly what is on this album, which came to me without a jacket. David
Lewis has found one archive listing, Gramophone Magazine printed a review and
listed everything, a book called Record Ratings listed the contents as it knew
them, and the labels agree with all the printed material, with a few varied
spellings. But the record doesn't. Every source gives me 15 titles (as below),
the labels list 7 tracks on side 1 and 8 on side 2, but the record itself has
16 tracks. Not a matter of a false spiral, either..there are 16 selections. Up
to "Gagliarda" (the 12th title listed), I know what's here. From then on I have
4 titles and 5 tracks, and the first line of what the choir sings doesn't
audibly show up as the track's title. Does anyone have the correct information?

ESOTERIC ES 514

Ghent Oratorio Society ; Max Demasse, guitar (tracks 5 & 12) ; Marcel de Pauw,
conductor
O là, che bon eccho / Orlandus Lassus --
Serenade van de landsknecht / Anonymous --
Mille regrets / Josquin des Prés --
In't groene / Jan van Belle --
Flamenga / Anonymous --
Maria die soude naer Bethlehem gaen ;
Het was een maghet uutvercoren / arr. M. de Pauw --
Ic sag Caecilia komen / August de Boeck --
Ic seg adieu / arr. M. de Pauw --
Amoreus liedekijn ;
Gagliarda / Cipriano [?] --
Daer ging 'nen pater ;
Reuzelied / Arthur Meulemans --
Fantasia / Jef Tinel --
Hymne aan de schoonheid / Meulemans
Note 	Recorded Oct. 1952 in Ghent, Belgium

However you say "Thank you" in Flemish.