[78-L] Charlie Barnet title I can't think of

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net
Sun Mar 18 22:36:01 PDT 2012

On 3/18/2012 10:54 PM, david.diehl at hensteeth.com wrote:
> Sammy had a sense of humor-give the Varsity of "Oh Helen" or the post-war "I used to work in Chicago" a spin. I'm certain that the Victor brass would have gotten his OK before releasing something that might offend one of their most consistent money makers. In June of 1940 Oberstein offered Kaye what was then reported by Variety as one of the most lucrative contracts in the business, which Victor matched when US Records went into receivership.

Stage show biz was rife with conflict put-ons. The classic was that
between Jack Benny and Fred Allen, who regularly traded potshots. During
sequential appearances at the Chicago Theater in 1947, they went to
blows to a point where a lawsuit was threatened. Allen wrote a letter to
the offices of Balaban & Katz, referring to Benny disparagingly (tongue
in cheek) and stated that if Benny made further aspersions he would sue
the theater  for $2,000,000. Of course it was all a sham, and the
resulting hoopla only added to both of their box office takes.
http://www.otrr.org/FILES/Magz_pdf/Nostalgia%20Digest/NostalgiaDigest_V21_%2802%29FebMar95.pdf

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr.

Technology...thoughtfully, responsibly.