[78-L] Very western sounding Japanese dance band

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net
Sat Mar 17 20:46:18 PDT 2012

On 3/17/2012 10:02 PM, David Lennick wrote:
> I was just about to put this in a batch of "geddemoudahere" records but I
> thought I'd sample it, and was amazed to hear a very western sounding dance
> band on Japanese Victor V-40256. Only the titles appear in western print..WAGA
> YUMA, WAGA UTA (male vocal) and GINZA KANKAN MUSUME (female vocal). Anyone able
> to provide any information about this?

I can see by searching for it that it must have been very popular. I
find it in Victor in 100% Japanese and I see one on Tokyo Records label.
Appears to be from a mixed Columbia and Victor set simply entitled
"Japanese Records." Has a pretty cover graphic.
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/japanese-record-album-six-10-78rpm-105007743
Probably sold during the early occupation years for mixed consumption.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0clGC_k9vts
Pleasant!

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr.