[78-L] Judy Canova Records

David Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 16 08:08:04 PDT 2012

Mr. Lennick wrote:

The cast reunited to make that album. Not sure if it was intended for Camden or
ended up there after some other arrangement fell apart..some Camdens were
intended for Vik, the Nancy Walker album was originally issued as a stereo tape
somewhere else. I'm not aware of any Judy Canova Victors in the 40s.

There should be a recording date on the Golden Age of Comedy album (my copy is
buried somewhere at the moment). The Camden notes refer to Judy wanting to join
the current craze for comedy albums and has a 1960 copyright date. Odd
thing..my Canadian pressing was done by Sparton, not by RCA Canada. Some
Camdens got farmed out for some reason.

dlThank you, I figured it was something like that. It sounded a little too good to be off the air in say 1944, and
for a recreation this was about as late as Judy could expect to do one, as Joe Kearns died in 1962 and also
Mel Blanc spent much of '62 in the hospital.

The idea that she made records for RCA Victor in the 40s is fairly well travelled on the web, but I have never
seen one, and don't know of any. To wit, Wackypedia:

> She recorded for the RCA Victor label and appeared in more than two dozen Hollywood films, including Scatterbrain (1940), Joan of Ozark (1942) and Lay That Rifle Down (1955).

And:

> During World War II,
 she closed her show with the song "Goodnight, Soldier" ("Wherever you
may be... my heart's lonely... without you") and used her free time to
sell U.S. War Bonds.
 After the war, she introduced a new closing theme that she once said
she remembered her own mother singing to her when she was a small child:
Go to sleep-y, little baby.Go to sleep-y, little baby.When you wakeYou'll patty-patty cakeAnd ride a shiny little pony.
Canova recorded the song in 1946.

Uncle Dave Lewis
uncledavelewis at hotmail.com