[78-L] Judy Canova Records

David Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 15 23:37:43 PDT 2012

Have picked up the LP RCA Camden CAL 662, "Judy Canova." I found my copy without a cover, but by chance, in excellent shape still. I
can understand why the cover is gone; those Camden albums have thin, cheap covers and they split apart.

Judy made records for RCA Victor in the 1940s. I had thought one of these were used for LPV-580, "The Golden Age of Comedy" (1972).
But that same track is on this Camden album.

The tracks here sound like straight up routines from her radio program, which ran from 1943 to 1955, a very wide range. They feature
the same actors who did the show: Mel Blanc, Sheldon Leonard, Verna Felton, Joseph Kearns and Hans Conreid. Does anyone know if
this material was taken from airchecks, and whether her 78 issues were drawn from the same pool of airchecks or independently made
studio recordings? This LP was produced in 1960, which seems a bit early for OTR on vinyl LP for me, though I may simply be familiar
with the Murray Hill & Radio Yesteryear stuff that appeared in the late 1960s.

Uncle Dave Lewis
uncledavelewis at hotmail.com