[78-L] Flemish Choral Music

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 15 20:33:10 PDT 2012

Okay, it turns out that this isn't the complete track list after all, but it's
a start. The list I found shows 14 titles. The record labels show 15. And there
are 16 tracks (9 on side 2), so we're still missing some information, aside
from a few mismatched titles. Does anyone have this disc, either on the
original Esoteric issue or the Everest reissue?

The list I originally sent, it turns out, is taken from WERM third supplement
(Anthologies section). It's helpful in that it also identifies a couple of
guitar tracks played by Max Demasse, and that has led me to a more complete
listing, slightly out of sequence, in a review in GRAMOPHONE. Here's their
title list:

FLEMISH CHORAL MUSIC. Lassus. 0 la, o the bon Eccho; De Serenade van de
Landsknecht. Josquin des Pres. Mille regrets. Belle. In't groene. Anonymous.
Fiamengat ; Maria die sonde naer Bethlehem gaen (arr. Pauw); Het was een maghet
uutvercoren (arr. Pauw). Boeck. Ic sag Caecilia komen. Anonymous. Ic seg adieu
(arr. Pauw). Meulemans. Amoreus liedekijn. Cip- riano?. Gagliardat. Willems.
Daer ging 'nen pater (arr. Meulemans); Reuzelied (arr. Meulemans). Tinel.
Fantasia. Meulemans. Humne aan de schoonheid. Ghent Oratario Society directed
by Marcel de Pauw. Items marked t played by Max Demasse (guitar). Esoteric (4)
ES514 (12 in., 29s. 2d. plus 9s. P.T.).

This list changes some anonymous compositions around and inserts a couple of
titles I can't match up, and the original record labels are sometimes at
variance with everything. So I'd still appreciate it if anyone can come up with
a track list from the jacket (the Everest Counterpoint/Esoteric is likely the
same as the original Esoteric). Thanks.

dl