[78-L] Toscanini

S&R Pinsker spinsker at erols.com
Tue Mar 13 21:05:56 PDT 2012

Many years ago (I seem to recall) there was an article, most likely
in High Fidelity, detailing the "touching up" by Toscanini among others
of Beethoven's symphonies, mainly by adding more brass.
Twice while he was in Washington, Slatkin gave a series of performances
of the Mahler reorchestrations or enhancements of some Beethoven
symphonies. He included in the concerts demonstrations of the original,
Mahler's version, and Toscanini's.
Toscanini had some hand in creating the customary shortened version
of Alfano's completion of Turandot. I don't know if he merely made cuts
or composed some bridge passages. He also, if the cast lists are an accurate
guide, introduced the "standard" cut in the first act of Madama Butterfly at he
Met. It has finally been restored in the new production.
rdp