[78-L] Fwd: NBC Chimes in song

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Mar 12 22:22:56 PDT 2012

-------- Original Message --------

	Surely someone on the list can unravel this mystery.

	Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

	From: 	Michael Shoshani <mshoshani at sbcglobal.net>

I gave my NBC Chimes Museum site a thorough revamping, its first since I
put it up seven years ago, with much of it broken up into logical
sections...at least I hope they're logical... and with a lot of historic
material added, including actual interoffice correspondence regarding
the Chimes, and also including transfers of a few 78 RPM records. One of
the items I added was a two minute song whose title is completely
unknown, but it's generally referred to as "I Love You (Three Little
Tones)". All that's known about the version in common circulation (all
of which trace back to the ReelRadio Repository) is that it was found on
a broadcast cart in Washington in the 1980s, and it's presumed to have
been recorded in the 1930s.

  You can download it directly and hear it from here, if you've never
heard it before:

  http://www.nbcchimes.info/sounds/ILoveYouThreeLittleTones.mp3

The other thing that's generally known is that this song was used to
open the fourth season of Saturday Night Live, with Garrett Morris
singing the lyrics (with backup singing by the women in the SNL cast),
and with Howard Shore conducting an orchestra with a string section. I
got the bright idea to send an email to Howard Shore courtesy of his
management company, to find out if he has any recollections about the
song, but have not heard anything back from them or him. However, it
occurred to me that perhaps people inside NBC, especially anyone with
SNL connections, might have an idea of what this song is, where it
originated, and whether any original lacquer recordings actually still
exist in the library. (It would be a gem to actually get a decent modern
transfer if it does, but at this point I'm especially curious just about
the song itself, which has no registration in ASCAP's database under any
possible title combination I tried in my search.)
  Any leads that anyone can think of would be greatly appreciated. Best,
Michael Shoshani