[78-L] Capriccio Italien

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Mar 10 07:01:10 PST 2012

On 3/10/2012 10:04 AM, Don Cox wrote:
> On 10/03/2012, David Lennick wrote:
>
>> If it was the late 1920s, there was probably still a market for
>> "highlights" and abbreviated performances, a carry-over from
>> simplified symphonies and overtures on acoustical discs.
>
> There appears to be still a market among radio stations such as
> ClassicFM in Britain, which seldom plays more than one movement of a
> symphony or concerto.

As does a Classics For Yuppies station in Toronto which did surprisingly well
in the last ratings. It also has announcers who can't stop giggling, one who
should go back to sportscasting, another who should be hogtied and forced to
listen to his own airchecks because he loves the sound of how high and how low
he can make his voice go, and the city's noisiest commercials. In between this
crap and a lot of useless arts reports and restaurant reviews, they squeeze in
a minute or so of over-compressed music. Burnham knows the one I mean.