[78-L] An Orchestra Rehearsal

Don Cox doncox at enterprise.net
Fri Mar 9 02:51:17 PST 2012

On 08/03/2012, David Lennick wrote:

> I thought it was Mozart, but I haven't looked at any of those
> rehearsal records in a long time. Some of them are interesting..I have
> Monteux and Rodzinski rehearsals, among others. And the classic is a
> whole LP of Beecham singing along with Mozart and I think Haydn.
>
> dl

I think the rehearsal of the slow movement of the Clock is even better
than the final take on LP.

But the remarkable thing in those excerpts is when the orchestra starts
playing a Haydn symphony. Beecham stops them and says gently "We're
never quite together on those four notes..."

They play it again and are _exactly_ together.  What happened? Magic.

Unfortunately the compilers of the LP picked out the jokes and amusing
episodes. It would be good to have a much longer recording to show how
Beecham really worked.

The Beecham rehearsal LP was issued in a slightly different compilation
on CD. The CD includes a snatch of Beethoven's Fifth, which he never
recorded in full, unfortunately.

Regards
--
Don Cox