[78-L] G series Victor albums

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Thu Mar 8 12:24:10 PST 2012

So my question is this, what was the intended market for G series
records and what else was released therein?
--
Joe Salerno

I don't have a definitive answer to this but I don't remember ever seeing a set on Victor Red Seal subsequently released on the G series;  I have, however, seen a number of sets released on HMV Plum or Black Label which also appeared on Victor's G series.

I don't recall ever seeing a Victor Black Label record later released as a Victor Red Seal Record - until now.  Like most collectors I'm sure, I've seen countless copies of "Waltzing Matilda" sung by Peter Dawson on Victor Black Label, as well as on HMV Plum Label, but I have now found a copy of this record, (also with Waiata Poi on the reverse), as a Red Seal Record.  This record appears to be newer than the Black Label version.  I don't think I've ever seen Peter Dawson on Red Seal except when he sang on D'Oyle Carte's version of Pirates of Penzance, (I don't know if he sang on other G. &S. sets).

db