[78-L] Victor G series

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 8 07:39:51 PST 2012

I'm not sure of the exact dates for this series, but it was probably just after
the surprising success of the budget albums which Victor recorded and pressed
but which were distributed by newspapers in 1938-39. Most of the albums were
reissues of old recordings but the Nutcracker Suite (Goossens) and Unfinished
Symphony (Walter) were only a couple of years old. There were also black label
ten-inchers of singles by Galli Curci, Menuhin, Caruso (yep!) etc. Decca had
been issuing low priced classical records on red label for a few years,
absolutely bare bones (no albums), and some of them were superior to the
European pressings (the Walton Symphony, for one). I'm pretty sure this whole
enterprise predates Columbia's dropping of the price for classical 78s from
$1.50 and $2 to a buck, a move met by Victor. Pressings and musical quality
then went into the toilet. If it wasn't Tchaikowsky, the hell with it.

dl