[78-L] I wonder how this passed the inspection

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Mar 4 12:00:23 PST 2012

Sometimes the last dying notes of a recording disappear in the runout where the
engineer obviously couldn't hear the decay, sometimes (especially on French
78s) they just whipped the cutter into runout mode so you got about a quarter
second of silence..but how on earth did Brunswick ever pass Helen Morgan's
"Winter Over Night", LA 274B on 7391, where the locked groove overlaps the
recording by about 4 revs and just chops the recording off in mid note? Are
there copies that don't have this problem? I've seen a few recordings where
it's evident that the runout is added to a mother, not to the original master
(varying cutting styles, or some reissues where there's no runout at all).