[78-L] Russian LP issue dates..discrepancy

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Wed Feb 29 18:04:39 PST 2012

While Dr Biel is absent...

This discrepancy may have to do with the fact that pre 1964 LP:s were
not Melodyias at all. The company was founded in 1964 and the previous
Soviet LP issues were on "labels" like The Leningrad Factory or Ancora.
Melodyia apparently reissued some of the stuff under its own label, but
that makes recording dates uncertain.
The confusion is mentioned here:
http://www.medtner.org.uk/melodiya_frameset.html
...after which I'd say the Bennett/ Rockdisco discography for the early
dates look more reliable than PNP. From 1964 the dates are identical for
Rockdisco/ PNP.
Kristjan
P S What about those Bob Mitchell discs? Found any?