[78-L] Davy Jones dies

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Feb 29 13:04:45 PST 2012

On 2/29/2012 4:00 PM, Anthony G Pavick wrote:
> At 20:22 29/02/2012, DL wrote:
>> DOESN'T ANYONE DO RESEARCH ANYMORE??????? (It's a rhetorical
>> question and does
>> not need a reply because of course, no one does research anymore).--
>
> It all a part of the 'Clear Channeling' of radio and media. The
> Monkees stuff is over 40 years old and totally outside of the frame
> of reference of the snots in 'media' today. As far as they know, it
> was an animal act. -- take a look at
> http://home.comcast.net/~bubblegumusic/lancelot.htm

The follow-up comment on the list I quoted from reads thus:

--If you think that's bad, check out the video at the Toronto Sun website. It's
only 30 seconds or so, but if you had no idea who Davy Jones was (and there are
likely thousands who don't) you'd swear by the amount of video that shows the
guy on the drums, that it was Dolenz who passed away.

Maybe they don't have access to a lot of video but this is a very poor choice
to illustrate the story.

Also, the AP story on this - where I'm guessing many of these stations are
getting their info - has a number of mistakes as of this posting.

They've added an "e" to Micky Dolenz's first name in graph 6, spelled the
group's name as "The Monkeys" in graph 12, and in graph 3, perpetuate the myth
that Jones "became the lead singer."

Sloppy work, indeed.  --