[78-L] Records about records

Dennis Flannigan dennis.flannigan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 12:39:12 PST 2012

When I was younger, I liked cars others didn't. Bought a Vauxhall, two
Renaults, and the like. Unique me, I thought. However, once purchased, the
the same car, model and color seemed to drive by daily, park up the block,
and appear in ad inspiring convoys as I motored home from work. You notice
what you don't notice when it is singled out in your mind. Hence, records
about records.

Today, I created a Cd featuring 1920's ukulele songs for friends. Listening
to my disc before giving it to them, and heard, "SHOW ME THE WAY TO GO
HOME," by Billy West (Billy Jones), 78 Har 46-H (1925). The song includes a
reference to bringing a manhole cover home from a party and trying to play
it on the phonograph. Once again, the unique became ubiquitous.

Thank you for suggestions for songs about records. Plenty out there. The
addition of such songs in other languages added a dimension I'd not
considered. With such help, I'll scrounge my collection, and the Internet
to find some of your songs. I suspect I can fill an hour's show with songs,
snatch references within songs, and comments about such songs that have
reference to old records, phonographs, and the like. Makes me look like a
completest. Might fool my listeners.
df