[78-L] Songs about records, especially 78 rpm records?

Ray Kilcoyne kil at roadrunner.com
Thu Feb 23 17:56:48 PST 2012

Hey Taylor,
I love this record, but I don't think you can call Guy Lombardo's version a
cover.  I don't know for sure who recorded it first, but it was written by
John Jacob Loeb and Carmen Lombardo, so I think it was Lombardo's
originally.  1951 by the way.  Guy's record was the only one to chart on
Billboard so these others could be called covers, Nick Lucas, Georgia Gibbs,
Kitty Kallen and Richard Hayes, Sammy Kaye, Mary Martin & Larry Hagman
(mentioned before), George Trevare, Paul Sears, Martha Davis, and Al Morgan.
RayK

From: Taylor Bowie
There was a semi-hit tune around 1948 or so called "Get Out Those Old
Records" which was covered by Lombardo on Decca and on Columbia by Mary
Martin and her son,  Larry Hagman,  who must have been about 15 at the time.