[78-L] questions about blue shellac

Rjholtin rjh334578 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 18 16:57:35 PST 2012

Columbia touted the blue records as being the quietest records ever made.  Somebody on The List posted a demo with the sales pitch a few years ago.

The reason they used the blue was to be able to track unsold records returned by dealers for credit.  Only the blue ones were returnable.  I picked that up from Dave Blue Pages Diehl (no connection with blue wax, BTW) and the terms spelled out on the demo would support that usage.

I have a few 12" Standard inside start ETs of the Sons of the Pioneers from late 1934 pressed by Victor that are various shades of blue.  Not laminated nor shellac, but blue nonetheless.

Sent from my iPod