[78-L] Playing Black Amberols on an Amberola

muhrp at suffolk.lib.ny.us muhrp at suffolk.lib.ny.us
Wed Feb 15 10:06:51 PST 2012

	Only play the Blue Amberols on an Amberola.  Black wax Amberols
should be played on an outside horn machine with an H or N reproducer,
unless tou have a machine with one of the later combination reproducers
like the O & R.

	Peter Muhr

	> Hey Everyone – Quick question about the early Black Edison
Amberol

	> cylinders. I recently go my first Polk Miller 4 min cylinder, Bonnie
Blue

	> Flag #389.

	> When I play it on my Amberola, it plays fine, but when I’m
finished the

	> cylinder is covered with a fine black powder that I can only surmise
is

	> coming from the grooves of the cylinder!

	> Is this normal for the early Black Amberols? Could I have a bad
stylus? Am

	> I using the wrong machine? Every other cylinder I have is blue and
appears

	> to play fine. I’m a total newbie with Edison stuff and do not
want to be

	> doing damage to this cylinder by playing it (which sucks as
it’s such a