[78-L] Got to be the right place, even if it's on time

Benno Häupl goldenbough at arcor.de
Fri Feb 10 04:47:00 PST 2012

.
On eBay you can have several addresses. And this may cause some problems every
once in a while. Let me first elaborate, and I will explain below.

In your eBay profile you have the following addresses.

- your registered home address. This will change when you update it because you moved, but the
  'country of registration' will not change. I know a guy who works with the United Nations,
  and when he registered, he lived in Uzbekistan. He then changed his home address to
  Geneva, Switzerland, when he moved there, but eBay still shows he's registered in'Uzbekistan',
  although his sellers (or buyers) get his genuine Geneva address by email.  Now he lives in Paris, France,
  but eBay still shows 'Uzbekistan', and they tell him on the phone that they cannot change it.
  The fact that he's supposedly a seller from Uzbekistan is detrimental to his sales!

- your 'preferred shipping addresses'
  Of these you can have up to 12.  As for myself, I have several.
  - My home address in Germany
  - My work address in Latvia
  - My holiday address in Souther France
  - My brother's address in Germany (when I am on a lengthy travel)
  - My friend's address in the USA for 'Ship to US only' sellers
  - My daughter's address as a 'gift address'
  - My address c/o  a "mail forwarding service" in Nevada

Sometimes, eBay sellers simply take the address from the EOA ("end of auction") email
that eBay sends out - not considering that this is nothing but the "registered home address".

Sellers are supposed to ship to the address shown in the "Check out" mail or the
PayPal payment mail.  PayPal retrieves this address automatically from your eBay account.
Only if sellers do ship to this address, will they benefit from the "Seller protection plan".
Otherwise, the buyer may report and INR (item not received) and the seller has to
refund out of his own pocket.

So, watch out! You always have to have the correct "preferred shipping address"
activated in your eBay profile at auction end and during check out/payment.
Like, I select my mail forwarder in Nevada - and then my seller get this Nevada address
automatically with the payment info and shipping instructions!

After check out and payment, I revert my 'preferred shipping address' back to my
work address in Latvia or whatever is appropriate.

Simple as that - if you know.  But eBay won't tell you.

Benno