[78-L] New blog devoted to 78rpm records

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Jan 30 12:47:04 PST 2012

On 1/30/2012 8:23 AM, Thomas HENRY wrote:
> Nice to read that you know this song by Gainsbourg !

Actually I had to look it up.  Now to go hear it and see if it is
something I had already heard in the past.  I do have a number of his
early albums.
>   Well, it's not
> that easy to understand what he meant with "seins de bakelite", there
> can be several interpretations, according to me, he meant "firm
> breasts" (and not fake plastic breasts) [I must say I never expected
> to talk about breasts on a list devoted to 78s records].

You would be surprised what gets discussed here!  There are a bunch of
dirty old men here (and a few of the female persuasion as well) and jazz
lyrics can get rather racy, as do the puns!

>   I also think
> he just liked the word bakelite like you and thought it would sound
> good in the song.

That was the comment of Jerome Viger-Kohler being interviewed in a site
I found.

> By the way, many many thanks for the very interesting comments you put
> on my blog, that's exactly the kind of information and testimonies I
> was expected ! Merci beaucoup !
>
> Thomas

I also have searched out records as I have travelled around the world.
I have hundreds of Eastern Europe records.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com