[78-L] First country recording?

Gregg Kimball gdkimball at cox.net
Mon Jan 30 04:52:32 PST 2012

I haven't heard those sides and I don't know anything about Barton.  What
was his background?  What tunes did he perform?

There is no right answer to this, but I would look at several factors:

Was the artist primarily a trained, professional performer who picked up a
few popular tunes like "Arkansas Traveller" but didn't have a wide
traditional repertoire?

Certainly performing on the stage or studio should not exclude someone.  For
instance, Mellie Dunham performed in stage settings AFTER he became famous
via Henry Ford.  But before that he had primarily performed in local
settings as a country dance fiddler. Did Joseph Samuels ever perform in such
settings?  I doubt it.

The Dunham example brings up another interesting question.  Do you have to
be Southern to play "country" music?  Plenty of people would debate that
one.  Charles Ross Taggart probably fits the above definition of a country
fiddler but he's from Vermont.  By the way, he also created a Chautauqua
show called, if I recall correctly, "The Old Country Fiddler."

Tony's discography is fabulous, but he had to make some tough calls that
many would debate.  I think he includes some of Samuel's recordings but not
others.  He excluded Henry Ford's Old Time Dance Orchestra, which suprised
me.

Gregg