[78-L] First country recording?

Gregg Kimball gdkimball at cox.net
Sun Jan 29 17:17:11 PST 2012

This really boils down to whether you consider Richardson a "country"
performer.  In Tony Russell's Country discography, he lumps Richardson with
Charles D'Almaine and others as "studio or stage musicians" who happened to
record vernacular material.

Part of the argument is also about where he was from. I've seen it mention
that he was from North Carolina, as if this alone establishes his bona
fides.  Most of the things he recorded were were well known popular tunes,
such as "Devil's Dream," or began life as stage songs such as "Durang's
Hornpipe," etc.  I'd give it to Eck.

Gregg Kimball