[78-L] Harmonists on EMI

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Wed Jan 25 07:22:59 PST 2012

Blitz?
AFAIK the worst damage done to Gramophone Company's factory in Hayes was
on July 7, 1944, when a surface shelter was hit by a bomb and 37 workers
were killed. Little damage was done to the factory itself or its offices
and archives.
Besides: The Comedian Harmonists didn't record much in London. Most of
their recordings were done for Odeon and Electrola in Berlin, and only a
handful of these were issued by HMV.
The Electrola/ Lindström factory in Berlin, on the other hand, was
looted by Russian liberators in 1945; records, ledgers, matrices etc
were damaged and the remains thrown into the river Spree. What was saved
was later incorporated in the EMI/ Electrola archives in Cologne.

Kristjan