[78-L] Sousa Talks!

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Jan 24 19:16:44 PST 2012

On 1/24/2012 6:09 PM, David Lennick wrote:
> Okay, gang, anybody know anything about this? Sousa introduces Stars and
> Stripes !? On a Japanese Program Transcription!?
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpr5lYMz7LE
>
> dl

Weird.  This is an edited dub from a National Radio Advertising Company
recording by Brunswick for the Bond Bread Radio World Tour which was
syndicated for broadcast on Thanksgiving Day 1929.  The unedited speech
and the march has been out on LP and CD several, but the only known
original copies of the speech disc and the music disc are in the
collection of John Newton.  He also has the music disc for The
Thunderer.   The disc that contains Deems Taylor's introduction of
Sousa, The Thunderer, and American Fantasie, along with the two music
discs of American Fantasie are in another collection along with some of
the other discs of this program.   At the Great American Brass Band
Festival in Danville, Kentucky this past Spring, I sat next to John
Phillip Sousa IV when we played these recordings (except for the music
of The Thunderer which I still haven't gotten from Newton -- hint, hint).

The recordings are listed in Ross Laird's Brunswick discography except
that he does not have the title identification of the Deems Taylor
intros and the American Fantasie music discs.

I have no idea how or why Japanese Victor put this disc together.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com