[78-L] Does anybody actually bid on Hillbilly or CW 78's on eBay?

Dennis Flannigan dennis.flannigan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 11:03:10 PST 2012

Thinking of selling on eBay, which each year I consider, and then don't do
it. However . . .

Today I checked blues and country 78s on eBay. It's been a while. So, found
quite a few blues 78s for auction, and five percent or so with bids. Four
thousand plus records identified as blues were posted. Did not check them
all. Then checked hillbilly, as well as CW seventy-eight listings (CW
78rpm, and Hillbilly 78rpm). More listed as hillbilly. Found only one with
a bid offer ($5.00), checked more than 400 listings. Most had no bid, only
Buy Now pricing. Still, only a Red Kirk record had any bid. Records ranged
from prewar Columbia items, to later bands and artists.

Has bidding on eBay expired as a serious option for collectors? Are there
no country or hillbilly collectors in real life? Seems eBay would offer a
hint of whether there is any interest. And it made no difference whether
the record was posted at two dollar minimum bid, or $24.99 (popular
number), there was only one bid. Ninety-five percent required Buy Now
purchase, and prices were unlikely to attract buyers.

Are there country collectors left to purchase records?

Dennis