[78-L] Oompah question (sort of)

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Tue Jan 24 10:25:07 PST 2012

David,  Julian and others,

Somewhere I've read that it was Sol Bloom,  later a distinguished member of
Congress from New York,  who put together that snake dance melody for the
side show girls at the '93 Chicago World's Fair.

In the early 1960s,  the boys (and girls) at my grade school would sing
these lyrics to the first measures:

"There's a place on Mars..where the women smoke cigars."  Much more up to
date than "There's a town in France..."

Here is a link to Bloom on Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sol_Bloom

Taylor